How is the root of a tooth removed from above and below in a dental clinic? Before the procedure, it is necessary to go through a mandatory preparatory stage, which ensures the success of subsequent surgical procedures.
Since a drill and other special tools are used for extraction, some patients experience complications, but the likelihood of their occurrence is very small if the dental unit was removed by an experienced specialist. When a person tries to get the wreckage on their own at home, this threatens serious health problems that are life-threatening.
When is tooth extraction required?
Dentists prefer to resort to such radical methods as little as possible and try to keep the dentition “alive”. Even if a small fragment remains, the possibility of prosthetics using the preserved base is considered first of all. In some cases, extraction is not enough.
- The patient is diagnosed with periodontitis in the later stages when the root part is severely loosened;
- Received a serious injury (fracture);
- A cystic neoplasm was found that cannot be eliminated in isolation;
- A piece of the crown broke off, going deep into the gum tissue;
- Solid particles remained after poor-quality intervention by a doctor.
How is a tooth root removed in dentistry in children, is there a need for this? Dairy units normally fall out on their own. They are shown to be pulled out with deep carious lesions, fractures, loosening, and subgingival caries.
What happens if you leave
Some people can walk for several years with their teeth completely destroyed. This is very harmful because the remaining root part rots and is a source of fetid odor from the oral cavity. In addition, this is a hotbed of numerous infections, because the roots accumulate pathogenic microorganisms and food particles. On the fragments, dense plaque and tartar are formed. As a result, soft tissues become inflamed.
The body will constantly fight the source of the problem, the immune system will direct a significant part of the resources to the fight. Sooner or later, a strong inflammatory process is formed, in the most severe cases, the maxillary sinuses become infected, osteomyelitis develops, and fractures and other injuries are possible.
Patients mistakenly believe that over time the root will come out on its own, so dental intervention is not necessary. The root part does not fall out, over time it will overgrow, and the doctor will have to cut the gum for high-quality extraction. In this case, the rehabilitation period may be delayed.
Signs that after tooth extraction the root system remained in the gum
If the medical manipulations were performed correctly, there should normally be no fragments of the dental unit in the hole. Due to the unprofessionalism and mistakes of the dentist and for other reasons, after a while, it may be found that there are pieces of hard tissue in the gum. By what symptoms can this be understood:
- Persistence of soreness, a feeling of pulsation for several weeks;
- Swelling, redness of the mucous membranes;
- Fever (intermittent or persistent fever);
- Slow wound healing, bleeding.
When such symptoms appear, you should visit a dental clinic as soon as possible. The specialist will take a picture and give a conclusion if there are any complications after the extraction.
Can the root “come out” on its own
Some patients, due to fear of pain and other discomforts, believe in vain that if no action is taken, over time, the base will fall out by itself. For many years they walk with rotting bone remains in their mouths, creating a favorable environment for the development and spread of pathogenic microorganisms. An unpleasant odor appears in the mouth. Sometimes the root can really come out without outside intervention, but this happens extremely rarely.
As events usually develop if you do not visit the dentist on time:
- Hard plaque and stone form on the surface. The mucous membranes surrounding the base are irritated.
- The gum overgrows, and a strong inflammatory process develops. Subsequently, soft tissue dissection will be required.
Before pulling out the root of the tooth, you need to prepare for this. The procedure is carried out in several successive steps. All of them are mandatory and, subject to medical recommendations, as well as general rules, guarantee a good result and a quick recovery.
Preparing for removal
At the preparatory stage, it is necessary:
- It is good to examine the oral cavity, especially near the pathological site. It is necessary to take a panoramic picture, assess the condition of the periodontal soft tissues, and confirm or refute the presence of an inflammatory process.
- Develop a treatment plan with your doctor.
- Choose methods of anesthesia and specific drugs, taking into account contraindications and individual characteristics of the body.
- Prepare the necessary equipment.
- Perform hygienic treatment of the oral cavity, and remove plaque and stones.
- Rinse your mouth with an antiseptic solution. The most commonly used for this is chlorhexidine.
- Do not neglect anesthesia.
- If necessary, incise the gum.
Proper preparation is a guarantee of a successful procedure. In this way, possible complications can be minimized as much as possible.
Dentists, before pulling out, remove the root of the molar from the gums, and select special devices, without which high-quality extraction is impossible. To help the doctor come:
- Forceps. They capture the visible part that protrudes above the surface of the gums. The periodontium is previously separated from the root system, the mucous membranes exfoliate from the boundaries of the alveoli. Dental units from the upper jaw are pulled out with a tool with wide bayonet-shaped blades, from the lower jaw – wedge-shaped models.
- Elevator. It is used as a lever, previously inserted into the cavity between the walls of the hole and the root body. It is used with a deep location of the root part when the forceps are powerless.
- Drill. With the help of the boron, the outer alveolar wall is taken out, and the remains are removed with forceps.
There are several methods that dentists resort to:
- Amputation. Indicated in case of need for surgical intervention on the upper jaw. The visible periodontal layer is separated mechanically, the drill cuts the root system, which is then removed with forceps. An empty hole is filled with a special composition.
- Hemisection. Most often used on the molars of the lower jaw. The doctor takes out the diseased root and the coronal part, which is adjacent to it. After that, filling is performed.
- Cystectomy. Indicated for cystic neoplasm. At first, the upper section is opened, the cyst is excised, and the resulting void is filled with a medical composition.
Regardless of the method chosen, local anesthesia is used. The patient will not experience pain or other discomforts.
Further processing of the alveoli
This is a mandatory step after the extraction of the dental unit. The well must be thoroughly washed with an antiseptic solution, then anti-inflammatory drugs are placed in it for prevention or for treatment if inflammation does appear. The wound in this case will heal much faster.
Peculiarities of tooth root extraction on different jaws
When removing fragments on the upper and lower dentitions, there are some differences in the instruments used and the manipulations performed. From above, molars, canines, and incisors are taken out with bayonet-shaped tongs, and C-shaped pliers. The dentist performs rotational movements and pulls out the tooth. When difficulties arise, a drill and an elevator are used.
With the lower jaw, everything is much simpler. Curved dental forceps are usually sufficient. The exception is the cases of removing the “eights”.
How to remove the root of a tooth without an apex
Stages of treatment:
- The use of anesthesia, selected individually, taking into account contraindications and characteristics of the body;
- Separation of the circular ligament from the neck and edge of the alveoli (in the absence of inflammatory processes of soft tissues);
- Cutting the gums, reaming the bone structures to access the root part;
- Direct removal with tongs or an elevator, use of a drill (if necessary);
- Treatment of the hole with a special composition to accelerate healing.
In the absence of a crown, the procedure becomes more complicated and cannot be performed at home. An experienced doctor will get all the fragments along with the base in an average of half an hour.
How dentists remove the root of a wisdom tooth from above and below
These dental units are the most problematic. They often grow perpendicular to the neighboring ones, so the doctor can hardly get to the root system, which can be very difficult to pull out.
An obligatory stage is the passage of diagnostics. The clinic takes an x-ray to assess the location of the unit and its features. Only after this is developed therapeutic tactics.
If after the examination it becomes clear that the procedure will be difficult, a decision is made to use general anesthesia.
Removal of the root of the tooth under anesthesia
In most situations, local anesthesia is used. However, in cases when it comes to the extraction of “eights”, or in case of intolerance to the components of the preparations, a pathological fear of dental treatment, they resort to general anesthesia. Throughout the procedure, a person sleeps, so he does not feel pain, does not feel psychological discomfort.
Related to this post The Dangers of Increased Abrasion of Teeth and How to Avoid It
Despite the tangible advantages, this technique has a significant drawback. Its use can threaten serious problems with the heart, brain, and other internal organs and systems. Some patients have a hard time recovering from anesthesia, nausea, headaches, and other symptoms are bothering them.
In modern dentistry, a more gentle method is used – sedation. A person relaxes, but at the same time is conscious, and can interact with doctors. There is no stress or pain.
Amputation of the root of the tooth as a treatment
This is a tooth-preserving surgery. Only the pathological fragment is removed, and the healthy element of the root system remains. The resulting cavity is filled with a special composition.
This is a serious medical intervention, accompanied by increased trauma, especially if the patient has an idea of how to remove the root of the tooth himself and pull out fragments at home. With unprofessionalism or doctor’s mistakes, due to the individual characteristics of the body, the likelihood of negative consequences increases:
- Infection of hard and soft tissues located in the neighborhood;
- The spread of the inflammatory process to both jaws along with the ligamentous apparatus;
- Periodontal disease and other dental diseases;
- Cyst, flux, and other formations;
- Severe soreness for several days or more;
- Swelling, inflammation of the tissues of the oral cavity and face;
- Pain when swallowing food and liquids;
- Difficulty opening the mouth;
- Sustained increase in body temperature;
- Bleeding from the wound;
- The appearance of pus;
- Loss of sensation in the jaw or face.
If you have at least one of these symptoms, it is important to visit a dentist. You may need additional treatment.
How painful is the procedure
First of all, most patients are interested in whether it hurts to pull out the root of the tooth and pull out fragments from the alveolus. In modern dentistry, high-quality anesthesia is used, under the influence of which the patient feels comfortable and calm during extraction. Drugs are selected for any pain threshold on an individual basis. As a rule, the effect of medicinal formulations persists not only for the period of surgical procedures but also for several hours after them. Sometimes general anesthesia is required.
The choice of method of anesthesia depends mainly on the following factors:
- Patient’s age;
- Health conditions;
- The complexity of the planned operation.
How long the intervention will last depends on the clinical picture, the condition of the root part, the tooth as a whole, and the characteristics of the organism. The localization of the unit also plays an important role. An experienced doctor is able to cope in half an hour. However, in difficult cases, when it is necessary to get rid of the G8, the process can take up to 1.5 hours or more.
Is it expensive to remove the root of a tooth?
The cost of treatment depends on the location of the clinic and its status. Also, a decisive factor is the qualifications and experience of the doctor. As a rule, the price includes:
diagnostic measures at the preparatory stage;
- Consultations of a dentist, an anesthetist, and other specialists of a narrow profile;
- The cost of the operation itself;
- Materials used, etc.
How to pull out the root of a tooth at home
Despite the availability of modern surgical techniques and effective methods of pain relief, some patients refuse to visit the clinic and prefer to perform the removal themselves. Pliers and other tools designed for household use, but not for dental intervention, come to the rescue. The base of the root part is picked up and removed. Doctors categorically do not recommend doing this under any circumstances. The fact is that the process is associated with high risks of complications and can lead to irreversible consequences.
Is it possible to pull out the root of a tooth on your own, as experts explain
As mentioned above, dentists agreed that extraction at home poses a serious threat to the health of the person who decided on it. What happens if you ignore these recommendations:
- An open wound becomes infected, which can subsequently lead to sepsis;
- Pain causes traumatic shock, and severe stress develops;
- Fragments remain in the hole, it is very rare to get them completely at home, suppuration occurs, and the risk of serious dental pathologies increases;
- There is heavy bleeding.
Before removing an overgrown tooth root, if it is broken, it is necessary to undergo high-quality diagnostics and develop a treatment regimen together with a doctor. Only a specialist can choose a suitable technique and advise a method of anesthesia. Complications after extraction are rare if the procedure is carried out in a clinic. Self-pulling threatens serious problems up to sepsis.