In an attempt to better understand ourselves, we often turn to personality types and wonder: am I an extrovert or an introvert? It is much easier to determine if we have certain pronounced features of one of these two types. However, some people combine the qualities of both an introvert and an extrovert, which manifest themselves in different situations. Being between two psycho-types, they represent the “golden mean” and are called ambiverts. The prefix “ambi” is translated from Latin as “both”, which means that ambiverts have features of both types at the same time. How to recognize such a person in yourself and understand what its features are – we will consider later in the article.
The main feature of ambiverts is the ability to move from one type of behavior to another. Moreover, they do it without difficulties, which, in turn, are experienced by introverts and extroverts.
- To give a simple example, to gain strength, an extrovert is likely to prefer to spend time in the company of friends or colleagues, while an introvert is better off relaxing alone. The ambivert can freely choose between two options – go to a party or stay at home, everything will depend on his desire and mood.
Being on the border of two polarities, ambiverts constantly change their behavior. That is, in one situation they can act as extroverts, and in another, they can go into an introverted state. A person of this type will be at the center of attention in the company of colleagues, friends, and even strangers, and after returning home, he will watch the series all day and will not answer a single phone call. To many, this behavior may seem strange, so identifying ambiverts is not so easy.
The Advantages of Being an Ambivert
Even though ambiverts are very contradictory in their temperament, there are still several signs that make it possible to highlight their features.
- Ambiverts like to be the soul of the company, but at any moment they can get tired of this role and run away from society to be in a calm environment. This means that such people draw energy from communication, but sometimes it completely drains them.
- They easily make new acquaintances and feel at home even in other people’s companies.
- Working productively in a team or remaining a solo freelancer – for ambiverts there is not much difference, as they easily manage to do both.
- Being flexible in communication, ambiverts get along well with any interlocutors. They can listen like introverts and easily carry on conversations like extroverts.
- Busy work schedules in a noisy office can tire ambiverts. But at the same time, they get tired of constantly sitting at a distance.
- Always given a choice, it can be difficult for ambiverts to figure out where to replenish their energy right now: go to a dance or sit in the park and read a new bestseller.
- The ability to tune into the same wavelength with the interlocutors allows ambiverts to simply start trusting new acquaintances.
- In small companies, ambiverts easily attract attention: they talk a lot, joke, and freely enter into disputes. But at large events, they prefer to remain observers and not stand out from the crowd.
- It is difficult to determine the temperament of ambiverts because in different environments they manifest themselves in different ways. At work, they may be said to be always on their minds and behave like introverts, while their friends will be surprised and say that they have so much life and charisma that they are one hundred percent extroverts.
To be or not to be an ambivert?
Ambiverts have a flexible mind, and the ability to listen to the feelings and emotions of other people. They have a wide range of communication and horizons. They can make quick decisions, change the scope of their activities and dramatically change their whole life, but only if they want to. At the same time, they are quite comfortable doing their routine, calmly analyzing what is happening around them and not rushing anywhere.
Interesting on the topic How People Celebrate the Apple Savior Worldwide Postcards and Congratulations
- Due to their characteristics, ambiverts become good friends, leaders, and parents. The balance between the two psycho-types allows them to more easily cope with many of life’s difficulties and dilemmas that hinder introverts and worry extroverts.
You won’t be able to become an ambivert on purpose. Imagine what happens if you force an introvert to speak in public, and an extrovert to stay at home alone on vacation? It’s not about overpowering yourself and forcing you to do what is unnatural for you. It is necessary to work on yourself, engage in self-development, gain confidence, and gradually change your behavior in society.