Teeth braces – what are they, what are they for, and in what cases should they be installed? The design has gained immense popularity over the past decades. Firstly, such treatment is effective, in a short time period you can get even dentition and enjoy a dazzling smile in the mirror. Secondly, there are many varieties of corrective elements for every taste and budget. Thirdly, it is possible to correct orthodontic problems at different ages. Even complex anomalies of dentition can be corrected.
Consider what violations are eliminated in this way, and how much time and money it will take.
Teeth braces: what is it?
The design is a staple made of metal, ceramic or other materials. The system is attached to the outer or inner side of the jaws. All elements are held on a special thin wire.
An orthodontic appliance is necessary to eliminate pathologies that are associated with the incorrect position of dental units. People mistakenly believe that the main purpose of such an intervention is the aesthetic appeal of a smile. Doctors do not agree with this and argue that the curvature of incisors, canines, and molars is primarily a medical problem since it often leads to health problems. Food is not crushed enough during chewing, and then poorly digested, as a result, diseases of the gastrointestinal tract develop.
There are other pathological processes that can only be dealt with staples. In some cases, extraction is required before installation.
Why put them
Orthodontic elements are installed with a variety of anomalies. These include crowding, a diastema, incorrect placement of crowns, and other disorders.
Correction of bite
Why do, put on and wear braces with the wrong position of the teeth? The structure of the dentition in this case is broken. One of the jaws may be underdeveloped or go far forward. A person has a pronounced asymmetry of the face, he cannot fully close the upper and lower elements of the maxillofacial apparatus.
Treatment lasts at least a year. In addition, a recovery period is subsequently shown to consolidate the results. Stages:
- Preparation (from 2 days to a week). The duration depends on the condition of the oral cavity.
- Installation of an orthodontic arch. The term can be anything – from several months to 2-3 years. The question is decided by the doctor based on the degree of neglect of the pathology.
- Recovery. Sometimes this may require as much as was spent on the correction itself.
When there is not enough space in the mouth, the units overlap each other. To lack space, the crowns are bent and change their natural position. What does this lead to:
- The appearance of carious cavities due to difficult hygiene, accumulation of plaque, and the growth of stone;
- Periodontitis and other dental diseases;
- The occurrence of bad breath, which cannot be eliminated with the use of special rinses and pastes;
- Traumatic impact on individual parts of the jaw, resulting in the destruction of periodontal fibers;
- The formation of abscesses, fistulas, and other inflammatory formations;
- Inflammation of the submandibular lymph nodes.
Correction of the diastema
Wide gaps between adjacent teeth are a common problem. The anomaly can be symmetrical or asymmetrical. In the first case, the incisors, canines, and molars are displaced from the center at regular intervals. In the second – one crown moves away more than the rest.
Consequences of pathology:
- Violations of diction;
- Whistling when pronouncing vowels and loud exclamations;
- Instability to external influences;
- The appearance of complexes is due to the aesthetic unattractiveness of the defect.
What is dangerous malocclusion?
Answering the question, in what cases it is necessary to put braces, and why it is necessary, it is worth familiarizing yourself with the consequences of ignoring the pathological process. Many mistakenly believe that the lack of timely intervention only affects the appearance of the patient, so it is not so important to leave everything as it is or still resort to the help of a professional orthodontist.
What happens if you don’t fix it
What causes such anomalies:
- Problems with the speech apparatus;
- Difficulty swallowing, and chewing food;
- Violations of the digestive tract;
- Headaches, migraines;
- Diseases of the musculoskeletal system;
- Loosening and loss of incisors, canines, and molars;
- Frequent infections of the mouth.
Pros and cons of braces
The system has many advantages. The main ones are:
- Quick troubleshooting. To achieve the desired effect, long-term treatment is not necessary, the dental units take the correct position in a short time period. This is especially true for structures made of metal.
- Many indications when braces are applicable. These include both minor deviations and severe bite anomalies that do not require surgical intervention.
- Possibility to combine with other therapeutic methods. Correction is applied individually or in combination, it all depends on the individual characteristics of the patient and the severity of the course of the pathological process.
- External systems are visible to the naked eye. Even if you choose the most aesthetic options, they will still be noticeable to others. Nowadays, however, the orthodontic appliance has become a fashion accessory that indicates that the wearer cares about their health. There are also lingual brackets, hidden and invisible.
- More thorough oral hygiene is needed. If you do not give enough time to care, plaque will begin to accumulate and tartar will form. At least 3 times a year, professional cleaning is indicated in the dental office.
- The likelihood of injury to the mucous membranes (tongue, inside of the cheeks, gums). For the first time after installation, this phenomenon is not uncommon. But patients get used to the discomfort. In addition, you can purchase a special wax for sealing traumatic elements.
- Food restrictions. Such a diet involves the rejection of hard, viscous, and sticky foods. Otherwise, the design will quickly become unusable, and the duration of therapy will increase significantly.
When you can and can not wear braces
The use of the system is indicated for malocclusion, crowding, and diastema. People of any age can be treated in this way. There are some restrictions for pregnant women, patients with implants, etc.
To whom the installation of arcs is contraindicated:
- Persons with acute immunological and psychoneurological diseases;
- Patients with diseases associated with blood clotting;
- People with bruxism, serious gum pathologies;
- If you are allergic to metal and other materials used.
At what age is it better to put on braces
In adolescents at the age of 13-18, dentition is the most susceptible to various changes, so this time is optimal. The treatment will be much faster and painless. However, designs can be installed in patients of other age categories.
Incorrect bite in babies becomes noticeable even with the appearance of milk rows. Parents should show the child to the pediatric orthodontist so that the doctor decides whether to install a corrective device. However, before the age of 12, there is a high probability of damage to the enamel layer. In addition, pathological changes in insufficiently formed roots are possible, which threatens the loss of incisors, canines, and molars. Criteria by which the readiness of children for therapy is determined:
- Sufficient enamel strength;
- Suitable crown length;
- Presence of anterior root units.
Some people mistakenly believe that braces are useless for adults. Doctors note that the system can be used until the rows are completely healthy. However, there are some nuances here. The jaws are formed and are no longer so supple, so the treatment will last a long time. In some cases, removal is required. In adulthood, various problems appear (caries, inflammation of the gums, thinning of hard tissues), which must be eliminated before the intervention of the orthodontist.
What do you need to get braces?
First of all, a visual examination is prescribed and diagnostic methods are determined. Then a treatment plan is developed. Before installation, sanitation of the oral cavity, professional reading, and other hygiene procedures are carried out. After that, the structure is fixed.
How much does it cost?
The cost may vary significantly. It depends on the type of system, material, as well as the neglect of the pathology. For more information, we recommend contacting the dental center “Dentika” at the phone number listed on the website or leaving a request.
How to put braces in the presence of implants and crowns
Most patients who visit orthodontists are adults between 25 and 45 years old. In addition to dental problems, individual units may be removed and restoration elements may be present. The possibility of installing staples depends on the clinical picture in a particular case.
Inlays and veneers are not a contraindication. However, it is sometimes difficult to attach corrective parts to them, so therapy may not give many results.
Locks are also fixed on artificial crown parts when only the root remains of the unit. If no major correction is required, a restored incisor, canine, or molar may not be connected to the system. Experts recommend installing temporary plastic or composite crowns before treatment. They are inexpensive and can be removed if necessary.
What Causes Gaps Between Teeth & How Can it be Fixed
In the presence of an implant, the installation of brackets is either undesirable or completely contraindicated. The pin must not be moved, otherwise, it will be rejected by soft tissues. If you leave it in a static position, other units will not be able to move. Thus, therapy is acceptable in rare cases when the implanted element does not interfere with the correction of the bite.
Braces and pregnancy – compatible or not
During the bearing of a child, planning such treatment is categorically not recommended. This is primarily due to the need to undergo an X-ray examination (CT, etc.), which is contraindicated in an “interesting position”. In addition, in the first days after installation, to speed up the adaptation process, the use of painkillers is indicated, which is unacceptable for pregnant women.
If therapy is started and the woman sees two lines on the test, there is no need to remove the staples. However, in this case, you must adhere to the following rules:
- Take good care of the oral cavity;
- Undergo regular preventive cleaning by a doctor;
- To carry out sanitation (preferably before setting brackets and pregnancy);
- Have the latest X-ray images available to track the dynamics of correction.
Despite the limitations and undesirability of therapy during gestation, there are obvious advantages of such an intervention:
- A woman’s bone structure changes and units move quickly;
- There is enough time for hygiene procedures;
- You can choose unaesthetic, but the most effective metal accessories, because for a long time, you will not have to speak in public and be shy.
How long do you need to wear braces?
The duration of treatment is determined by the doctor based on the results of the diagnosis, depending on the severity of the pathology and the type of construction chosen. Each case is considered individually, there are no general recommendations.
It is important to remember that before installation it is necessary to get rid of gingivitis, caries, stomatitis, and other problems. The therapy lasts at least a year, a shorter period is not enough. There are no maximum limits, some will have to wear braces for several years.
Can braces help?
Wearing the system gives excellent results. If the dental units began to diverge again, then the patient did something wrong. Perhaps the doctor made mistakes at the diagnostic stage.
After therapy, wearing retainers (caps) is indicated. If this is not done, the incisors, canines, and molars will quickly return to their original position.
An important factor is the experience and professionalism of the orthodontist. In the absence of a positive effect, it is better to change the treating specialist. There are other reasons too:
- The wrong type of arc;
- Anatomical features of the structure of the teeth;
- Insufficient duration of intervention.
What to do if braces don’t work
Having discovered that wearing the structure turned out to be ineffective, it is necessary first of all to figure out why this happened. When the system is dismantled, and the patient does not wear retainers (caps) due to damage, or loss, or does not know at all that this should have been done, it is worth contacting the attending orthodontist. He will choose the right accessory. However, this applies to cases where no more than 2-3 days have passed after the removal of the structure. If a longer period has passed, the brackets are installed again. The time for re-treatment will be less than the first time, but it will last until the rows are aligned again.
With a weak qualification of a doctor, it is better to turn to another. The tactics depend on the factors that led to the problem.
Do I need to take care of my teeth after braces?
During treatment, careful oral hygiene is indicated. Rinsing and brushing should be done every time after meals, including snacks. Thus, the patient gets rid of food particles in the interdental spaces and on the surface of the enamel.
It is better to use a brush with soft bristles and a small amount of fluoride paste. There are special rinses and flosses (threads) for better care.
When the system is dismantled, the person needs to wear mouthguards (retainers). This is how the result is fixed. If the aligned units are not held, they will soon return to their previous position.
Enamel after therapy becomes thinner and more vulnerable. Doctors carry out remineralization (fluoridation). Plaque and stone are pre-cleaned.
To maintain oral health, regular visits to the dentist for preventive examinations are essential. A beautiful smile will last for many years if you regularly take care of soft and hard tissues in your mouth (clean in the morning and evening, after meals, use an irrigator).
The question of why adults need to put braces on their teeth disappears when the patient gets acquainted with the possible consequences of malocclusion. There are many designs that differ in appearance, the material of manufacture, visibility to others, cost, and other features. Before settling on a particular option, it is necessary to undergo diagnostic studies and consult an orthodontist. It is likely that wearing the system in a particular case may be contraindicated, so you need to carefully consider the preparatory measures and listen to the opinions of various highly qualified specialists.