What to do if caries between the teeth is treated without depopulation, restoration, and other radical methods? This problem is quite common in both children and adults. Due to the peculiarities of the localization of carious darkening, diagnosis, and further treatment are difficult. For this reason, it is important to visit the dentist regularly for a thorough check-up and adhere to preventive recommendations. If you consult a doctor on time, the disease will be eliminated without consequences, and prosthetics and other drastic measures will not be required.
Reasons for development
The etiology of hard tissue damage, in this case, is similar to the factors that cause a classic lesion. The pathological process develops due to the accumulation of food particles and the active reproduction of pathogenic microorganisms in a favorable environment for them. The disease can spread very quickly, affect not only the enamel but also the dentin, reach the roots, and cause other diseases. If you do not see a doctor in a timely manner, you may subsequently need to remove the nerve or install a prosthesis.
Where do interdental caries appear?
It is observed in places of close contact with dental units. Often found between the rear chewing molars, which are actively involved in the process of chewing food. The anterior incisors and canines are affected much less frequently, as they are used only for biting food.
It is especially unpleasant when the disease covers the “eight”. Remote location, as well as uneven roots, complicate filling and depopulation. Most often, experts advise their complete removal without subsequent prosthetics.
Caries between the gum and the tooth are not considered interdental. The carious cavity should be formed precisely in the areas between adjacent units located in the neighborhood.
Who gets the disease?
This is one of the most common dental problems. The disease occurs in children of all ages and adults.
It is often found on the milk incisors and premolars in babies 4 years of age and older. This feature is due to the fact that at this time the child begins to eat all the food from the parent’s table and at the same time needs regular high-quality oral hygiene.
Some parents mistakenly believe that if the first teeth are affected in a son or daughter, they can not be filled, because they will fall out so soon. Caries between the teeth are treated both in the presence of temporary units and with the development of permanent ones. The pathological process can spread further, including the rudiments of molars and molars. The infection will lead to serious problems later in life.
But do not be afraid that the child will be hurt during treatment. In the clinic “Dentika” with a deep lesion, the need for depopulation and cleaning of the canals, both the usual method of anesthesia and sedation are used, that is, when performing medical manipulations, the baby sleeps and does not feel pain.
Why does pathology appear
The main reason for the appearance of caries between the teeth in adults and children is the accumulation of food debris in the interdental space and the active reproduction of pathogenic bacteria. With regular brushing, the contact points of the units are almost impossible to clean completely. It is necessary to use additional devices (irrigator, floss).
The disease develops as follows:
- A person does not eat right or regularly refers to cleaning, provides poor-quality care;
- Mucous membranes and enamel are covered with a dense coating;
- Residues of biological origin emit acids;
- The resulting substances corrode the outer layer, and after a while, they affect the dentin.
The problem occurs in people with malocclusion, dystopian eights, and other physiological features. This is due to the difficulty of performing hygiene procedures and detecting a carious lesion during a visual examination without x-rays and other accurate methods.
There is a list of factors that can lead to caries between two teeth:
- Smoking, alcohol abuse;
- Poor food quality;
- Unfavorable ecological situation in the settlement;
- Reduced immunity;
- The presence of chronic diseases in history, affecting the state of hard tissues;
- Abuse of sweets and other carbohydrate foods.
Four stages of development
Pathology goes through several successive stages. At first, this is a small contrast spot that does not affect deep formations and does not lead to complications with timely treatment. What does caries look like between teeth at different stages of its distribution:
- Elementary. There is a thinning of only the upper enamel layer. Small white or dark spots are found at the points of contact between the surfaces.
- Surface. The enamel begins to break down, and depressions form, which can be felt by running your tongue over them. Darkening is clearly displayed in the interdental space.
- Average. Blackened areas are visible to the naked eye. Symptoms appear, such as sensitivity to cold, hot, and sour, and bad smell from the mouth.
- Deep defeat. The diseased crown begins to collapse. Gaps between adjacent incisors, canines, or molars widen. The patient feels severe paroxysmal pain, sometimes there is bleeding after biting off food, and the mouth smells of rot. Teeth may chip off partially or fall out completely.
What are dangerous interdental caries?
The disease leads to negative consequences, affecting both the front incisors and chewing units. In the first case, the aesthetic component suffers, since the problem is visible to the surrounding naked eye. A person cannot smile normally, exposing the gums, because people immediately see unattractive black areas. Also, the front rows have thinner enamel, so the dark spot grows faster. Dentiki doctors can carry out work of almost any complexity in order to heal everything qualitatively and restore the former beauty of a smile.
If caries between the lower or upper teeth hit the back molars, this is also dangerous, because the problem can remain invisible for a long time, and the process will move into a more difficult stage. Patients often come to the dental clinic with a deep lesion, accompanied by complications such as pulpitis or periodontitis. Usually, the disease affects the chewing units located in the neighborhood, so you have to treat several at once.
It also happens that only one crown is affected. This most often occurs at the very beginning or in the presence of prostheses and other artificial devices in the neighborhood. In this case, the pathology is not so dangerous.
It is quite difficult to detect the disease at the earliest stages. The first unpleasant signs appear when the integrity of the enamel is broken. A person begins to react to temperature stimuli, especially food, and drink. It is not so easy to consider a carious cavity, since the inner surface of the units may be affected.
Typical symptoms that indicate the appearance of a problem, and require an urgent visit to the dentist:
- Painful reaction to hot, cold, sour, and sweet;
- Increased sensitivity when performing the usual hygiene procedures;
- Fetid breath is associated with the growth of pathogenic bacteria and rotting plaque (specialists have not proven whether there can be caries between teeth that are regularly cleaned of particles of food eaten by an irrigator);
- The appearance of white or dark spots on the enamel;
- Paroxysmal pain (the larger the damaged area, the more intense the pain);
- The presence of visible carious cavities that can be felt with the tongue (in advanced situations).
It is better not to bring the disease to such an extent that severe soreness appears, and black spots are visible to the naked eye. With periodic preventive checks at the dentist, the problem can be detected at the earliest stages.
Diagnosis of latent caries between teeth
It is not so easy to detect an interdental lesion on your own due to the peculiarities of its localization. Patients should, first of all, pay attention to the appearance of pain, bad breath, and blackouts and make an appointment with a doctor. If urgent measures are not taken, the pathology can affect neighboring units.
Methods that are used in the dental clinic:
- Visual inspection. The specialist carefully examines the oral cavity with a mirror and a probe. A professional can detect blackouts even in the most inaccessible recesses. If the coronal surfaces are too close to each other, and it is impossible to examine everything carefully, the use of other techniques is indicated. What caries looks like between the front teeth can be seen in the photo below.
- X-ray. On the x-ray, you can find areas that cannot be detected by external examination. The jaws are displayed in white, and the affected areas are highlighted in black and gray.
- Coloring and transillumination. Carious structures are detected when applying coloring compositions or using fluorescent diagnostics. Thus, the presence of blackouts in deep hard-to-reach places is established.
What doctors advise to do
Some patients notice slight discoloration and feel that the damage is not significant enough to warrant a visit to the dental clinic. Delay in the treatment of caries between the front and back teeth threatens large material costs and complex medical manipulations, therapy can take a long time. With a severe lesion, the dentist will have to restore several neighboring incisors, canines, or molars at once.
Experienced Dentiki dentists do not start intervention without high-quality diagnostics and determining the stage of the pathological process. First, the specialist will examine the oral cavity with a mirror and a probe, and only then decide whether additional research is required. A visual examination helps to identify the problem in no more than 40% of cases, so it is not surprising that the clinic prescribes x-rays and other procedures.
Doctors note that the elimination of a deep lesion often requires several visits to the dental office. Initially, a temporary filling is installed, which is subsequently replaced with a permanent one.
Treatment of caries between teeth
The therapy is no different from the methods of eliminating ordinary carious cavities, the only difference is that it is required to heal several neighboring units at once.
- Remineralization. Enamel is restored with the help of medications with calcium and fluoride. Actions will show a positive effect if the staining stage does not pass into the next one, and the integrity of the outer layer is not violated.
- Sealing. This is the method that is used most often. The resulting hole is filled with filling material. How caries is treated between the two front teeth and chewing molars depends on its localization and neglect of the pathological process. If the crown is destroyed very much, it is possible to install pins, inlays, and endodontic treatment.
- Prosthetics. When the tissues are destroyed so much that filling is impossible and the installation of prostheses (for example, inlays) is indicated.
- icon. At the initial stage of the disease, a special polymer substance is applied to the damaged area. This method will show effectiveness if the dentin is damaged by no more than a third.
caries between front teeth
If you consult a doctor in a timely manner, when the pathology manifests itself in the form of a spot, it is enough to use remineralization and other manipulations to restore the enamel. Physical therapy is essential. The treatment course usually about 5-7 visits the treatment room. As a result, blood circulation in the tissues improves significantly, the surface layers are quickly restored. Commonly used methods: are laser irradiation, electrical stimulation, and magneto-laser therapy.
How to remove caries between the teeth with a deeper lesion:
- Injection anesthesia (pain relief) or applications for comfortable treatment;
- Cleansing the carious cavity from accumulated deposits;
- Isolation of affected areas and mucous membranes with a latex napkin (cofferdam);
- Mechanical removal of black deposits with a drill;
- Applying a disinfectant and an adhesive composition;
- Installation of a seal;
- Grinding of contact surfaces;
- Restoration (use of crowns, veneers, etc.) in case of severe damage.
Caries of chewing teeth
The defeat of such units is much more common than the front. This is due to the fact that the jaws are involved in the process of chewing hard and soft food, which subsequently accumulates in the interdental spaces. Even small fragments of food are enough for infection to occur and bacteria to multiply.
The sequence of actions of the dentist:
- Anesthesia. The method of anesthesia depends on the depth of the hole. In the early stages, before removing caries between the teeth, the application is optimal, in more serious situations, anesthesia is used.
- Cleansing of plaque and hardened stone.
- Insulation with a rubber dam.
- Preparation. In the case of chewing molars, healthy tissue is often removed in order to provide access to the cavity.
- The use of disinfectants and adhesives for better adhesion to the filling material.
- Sealing (composite-based fillings are more often used).
- Grinding surfaces after restoring the integrity of the teeth.
Prevention of interdental caries
To avoid frequent visits to the dentist with severe pain and other characteristic symptoms, simple rules must be followed. Hygiene procedures that help prevent disease:
- Mouth rinsing and brushing after each meal;
- Regular cleaning with dental floss (floss);
- The use of high-quality pastes with antibacterial components and minerals that help strengthen the enamel (bacteria are the main reason why caries appears between the teeth);
- Professional treatment for plaque and accumulated stones in the clinic once every six months.
Preventive nutritional advice:
- Refuse products with a high content of carbohydrates (sweets, fast food, confectionery, butter bread);
- Refrain from eating cold, hot, and sour;
- Include food with fluorine and calcium in the menu;
- Eat vegetables and fruits more often;
- Do not gnaw nuts, do not bite the threads, and try not to injure the crown.
Even in the absence of pain and visible darkening, it is necessary to visit the dentist regularly. Only a professional doctor will be able to notice the early symptoms of the pathological process and cure the disease without consequences.
you can also get The Benefits of Using a Plate for Correcting Teeth and How to Choose
How to understand that caries between the teeth have affected tissues if it is not visible? Pathology occurs quite often since it is in this place that food accumulates that cannot be removed with a regular brush. If you do not use an irrigator or thread, a person will encounter this problem with a high degree of probability. It is important to remember that compliance with preventive measures and regular examinations at the Dentika dental clinic will help prevent the development of the disease and completely cope with it if a spot is detected at an early stage.