Preparations for remineralization of teeth in dentistry and at home help to saturate weakened structures with necessary substances simply, quickly, and without pain and relieve the patient from the discomfort that occurs when tissues become thinner. The enamel layer performs the most important protective function, preventing mechanical damage and the penetration of pathogenic organisms. During demineralization, some of the most important minerals are lost, which negatively affects the health of the oral cavity.
Fortunately, there is now an effective procedure that promotes tissue repair at the earliest stages. Let’s dwell on it in more detail.
What is tooth enamel remineralization?
In simple terms, this is the process by which previously lost mineral components (such as calcium and phosphate ions) are returned to the structure of incisors, canines, premolars, and molars. The main goal is to increase the strength characteristics to protect against external aggressive influences, as well as the prevention of various dental pathologies.
To achieve this effect, it is necessary to normalize the balance of essential substances. In this case, restoration can be both natural and artificial. In the first case, it is enough for a person to follow simple recommendations: lead a healthy lifestyle, eat a quality and balanced diet, use special hygiene products, etc.
The artificial method involves therapy by a professional dentist. The patient will have to wear special mouth guards and go through electrophoresis (administration of drugs using current) or fluoridation.
Do not choose a recovery method yourself. It is important to consult with a doctor first, who will examine the oral cavity, make an accurate diagnosis and prescribe therapy (at home or in the clinic).
Causes of tooth demineralization
It can be caused by a whole complex of provoking factors. In most cases, this is due to the constant contact of the enamel with acids that enter the mouth with food and drinks, as well as with pathogenic microorganisms that release aggressive substances in the course of their life. The accumulated plaque is a favorable environment for the reproduction of bacteria, which is why experts note the huge role of hygiene in the prevention of dental disorders.
The following reasons can be distinguished, which often lead to demineralization:
- Poor hygiene care. You may be brushing less than 2 times a day or too quickly. A person may not rinse their mouth after eating and not use floss.
- Poor quality, unbalanced diet. The patient consumes foods rich in carbohydrates but deficient in minerals.
- Excess in the diet of foods with acids in the composition. This includes not only citrus fruits like lemons, and berries, but also soda.
- Metabolic disorders for non-pathological reasons (due to pregnancy, adolescence or old age, etc.).
- General deficiency of vitamins and minerals in the body.
- Excessive consumption of coffee, and tea.
- Poor quality of drinking water.
- Metabolic changes in various diseases and other health problems. This includes hormonal disruptions, endocrine disorders, etc.
- The presence of orthodontic or orthopedic structures that interfere with high-quality hygiene.
- Bite defects, anomalies in the structure of the dentition.
- Smoking, alcohol abuse, and other bad habits.
- Constant stress.
Whitening can also lead to demineralization. This happens when the doctor performed the work poorly, or if the patient did not follow the recommendations after passing it.
Indications for the procedure
Remineralization of tooth enamel in dentistry or at home is indicated for:
- the initial stages of carious lesions;
- deficiency of vitamins and minerals in the body;
- thinning, damage to surface tissues (for example, as a result of injury);
- hypersensitivity to hot, cold, sour, sweet, etc.;
- diagnosed hormonal disorders;
- excess fluorine;
- erosion or hypoplasia of the enamel layer;
- the presence of orthodontic or orthopedic structures in the mouth;
- pathological abrasion of units;
- metabolic disorders;
- preparation for the professional whitening procedure.
Also, the technique is used to prevent caries and other dental problems. In addition, it is used after ultrasonic cleaning in the clinic.
There is also a contraindication: intolerance to the components of remineralizing drugs. It is also not recommended for people with diseases of the urinary system and problems with the normal functioning of the thyroid gland.
Enamel remineralization: how the process happens
This is an artificial saturation of dental tissues with the most important elements. As a result, cellular structures are strengthened, sensitivity is significantly reduced and the development of caries is prevented.
Treatment consists in applying special compounds to the surface that contain calcium, phosphorus, fluorine, etc. The drug is left on the teeth for some time so that the active ingredients penetrate the microscopic holes and fill them. To speed up the process, a doctor can use electric shock.
The therapy is carried out in a course, which is sometimes recommended to be repeated. Recovery can be done at home. This only makes sense if there is no visible damage.
What is the Structure of Adult Teeth?
Procedure in a dental clinic
Treatment consists of several successive stages:
- Sanitation of the oral cavity. It is necessary to clean the surfaces of accumulated deposits. For this, special sandblasting or ultrasonic devices are used. Plaque is a favorable environment for the growth and development of pathogenic microorganisms and can cause additional damage to hard tissues if it is under a protective coating.
- Enamel drying.
- Applying tampons soaked in a special solution of calcium gluconate, and setting up applications. Several times they change to new ones (about every 5 minutes), in general, this process lasts up to half an hour.
- Fluorination. It is indicated for additional protection and prevention of carious lesions. The main methods of saturation with fluorine ions: are the use of disposable and reusable caps, and the application of fluoride varnish.
These manipulations are performed every 1-2 days. Do not eat or drink for several hours after visiting the dentist. The duration of the course depends on individual characteristics and can be 10-20 sessions. Upon completion of therapy, it is possible to create a film resistant to external influences on the dental surfaces and enrich the tissues with essential substances. The effect becomes noticeable not immediately but after a while.
Procedure at home
Pharmaceutical companies produce specialized formulations that can be used by patients on their own. This is effective in the case when the dental tissues do not have visible defects.
When performing all the manipulations at home, it is advisable to use two different products calcium and fluorine. The first option is used in the evening before bedtime, and the second – is in the morning. It is important to ensure that none of the drugs contain both components at the same time, because in this case they create a stable connection and will not be effective.
To achieve the desired result, it is recommended to brush your teeth first. So the medicine will be in better contact with the surfaces.
In addition to professional formulations, some patients prefer to use homemade ingredients, such as sea salt powder. It is mixed with a few drops of any vegetable oil (olive, sunflower, etc.) to the consistency of gruel. The mass is rubbed in the morning and evening after cleansing.
Effective gum massage. How to do it correctly in a particular case, the dentist will tell.
The most important role is played by a properly selected diet. The more products with calcium, phosphorus, and fluorine in it, the higher the probability of maintaining the integrity of incisors, canines, premolars, and molars. Cheese, milk, cottage cheese, legumes, green vegetables, meat, fish, sesame, and almonds bring the greatest benefit. It is also desirable to additionally take vitamin and mineral complexes. Your doctor will help you choose the right drug.
How can enamel be restored?
To improve the condition of dental units and prevent pathological processes in the oral cavity, medicinal formulations containing calcium, fluorine, phosphorus, and other essential components are used. As a rule, these drugs include:
- fluorine varnish and gels;
- mousses and foams;
- rinse solutions.
Some products with a high content of trace elements are recommended for use after a course of procedures at the dentist. It’s also important to remember to practice extra hygiene by flossing and rinsing your mouth after every meal.
Effective compositions and their features:
- Jason Sea Fresh. It acts preventively but also allows you to deal with existing problems (microcracks, hypersensitivity, etc.). Contains fluorine and plant extracts. It fights pathogenic microflora and enriches hard tissues with useful components.
- Biorepair Total Protection Plus. An antibacterial drug that is recommended for patients who have worn braces. Does not contain allergens. It can be supplemented with night paste of the same manufacturer for maximum effect.
- Theodent Classic. It contains a unique patented component, theobromine. It not only restores tissues but also promotes the appearance of new, healthy, and holistic ones.
- Twin Lotus SENSITIVITY. Doctors advise this remedy to people with increased sensitivity to dental units because it contains substances that help eliminate soreness.
Gels and varnishes
The best compositions for home use of this type presented on the modern market:
- GLOBAL WHITE. Produced in the USA. Quickly helps to overcome hypersensitivity and promotes the restoration of damaged cellular structures.
- Miradent. Hard Tissue Protection Gel contains fluoride and is primarily recommended for preventive use.
How is the remineralization procedure done in this case, to be as convenient and fast as possible? Gel formulations should be applied to special caps. They are designed for applications at home.
Mousses and foams
- GC Tooth Mousse. Eliminates hypersensitivity prevents the formation of deposits and neutralizes the acidic environment in the mouth. The remedy is contraindicated in persons with allergic reactions to dairy products.
- Professor Persin. Restores and cleans when standard brushing is not possible. It makes dental units less vulnerable, strengthens them, and generally has a positive effect on oral health.
Compared to other manufacturers, 4-action BioRepair stands out favorably. The composition is intended for home use by persons with hypersensitivity. Works even in the most inaccessible areas. Prevents the formation of tartar and carious lesions.
The effect of the procedure
The result largely depends on the health status of a particular patient, metabolism, age category, and other factors. For some, it may be more pronounced, for others it may be less. After completing the course, the mineral balance is normalized, tissues are strengthened, caries in the staining stage are eliminated, and mechanical damage to the enamel is prevented. If done regularly, incisors, canines, premolars, and molars will have a natural shade and look healthy.
Benefits of remineralizing therapy:
- health safety;
- rapid restoration of the integrity of cellular structures;
- prevention of pathological processes;
- the ability to carry out the procedure yourself at home.
What is remineralization of teeth and how it is performed by a dentist, almost everyone is faced with the problem of destruction and sensitivity of enamel knows. However, not everyone understands that it is much easier to take independent effective preventive measures to prevent the problem and maintain oral health.
- Eat right and balanced. Exclude from the menu sweets and soda.
- Eat more dairy products, especially cheese, cottage cheese, and milk.
- Include more lentils, onions, and other fluoride-rich foods in your diet.
- Practice good hygiene, which includes: regular brushing at least twice a day, use of mouthwash and dental floss after meals, and periodic professional procedures aimed at removing soft and hard deposits on surfaces.
- Apply fluoride pastes.
- Timely and comprehensively treat all dental diseases.
- Come for preventive check-ups at the dental clinic at least twice a year.
It is also important to give up bad habits (smoking, alcohol, etc.), and excessive consumption of coffee and tea, as they affect the condition of the enamel layer. If you follow all the rules listed above, your smile will remain healthy and beautiful for a long time.
Increased sensitivity of dental units, the formation of microcracks in the enamel, and carious lesions appear due to a deficiency of minerals. To restore the structure of tissues, teeth are remineralized in dentistry and at home with preparations that contain all the necessary active ingredients.
The process can be either natural or artificial. The procedure using specialized pharmaceutical formulations is carried out both for prevention and for the elimination of already existing defects. The therapy is indicated for patients of almost any age category, starting from the age of 6, due to its absolute safety for the body of adults and children.