The main question of the day is “What to do? “. And, unfortunately, no one has the right answer to it yet. But there is an answer that can become a guideline for actions in the near future: influence the situation to the best of your ability. Show concern for your psychological state and the ability to act quickly. Don’t let panic take over you. How can I do that?
Steps to Create an emergency plan
The minimum physical security is based on the following steps.
1. Identify potential emergencies
Panic is an enemy that strikes quickly, like an avalanche. A huge number of videos and stories that cause nervousness and anxiety are already being distributed on social networks. Take each one critically. Check the source of information.
2. Prepare the most necessary things, documents, medicines
We hope that you will never need a “safety backpack”, but it is better if you have it on hand. What to put in it:
- Documents (passport, TIN, birth, marriage, education certificates, medical documents, and real estate), pack them in polyethylene just in case;
- Money (cash, cards) and valuables (not oversized);
- Medicines (painkillers, antipyretics, against allergies, antiseptics, dressings, from intoxication);
- Charged power banks;
- Clothes (at least – trousers, two T-shirts, a long-sleeved jacket, several pairs of warm socks, underwear, a scarf, and a hat) and comfortable shoes;
- Hygiene products (toothpaste and brush, towel, soap, toilet paper, intimate hygiene products);
- Flashlights, batteries, matches, or lighters;
- A bottle of water, and a minimum supply of long-term food.
All this should be conveniently and bulkily packed. You should also always keep your mobile phone charged.
If you have pets, prepare carriers and food.
3. Take notes on the steps in the multistory building
If you are in the private sector, check the condition of basements and other recesses that can provide shelter. If there are none, find rooms with the fewest windows, and remove easily breakable objects from them.
If you live in a high-rise building, you should know the following:
- Do not use elevators;
- Try to stay away from windows;
- In case of shelling – go out onto the stairs and go down to the lower floors (but not the first, the shock wave can touch);
- There is no way to get out – take a place away from the windows, near the load-bearing walls;
- Windows should be sealed with tape to reduce the chance of injury from debris.
4. Taking care of your mental state
An important contribution to the current conditions is taking care of your psychological state. A cold mind will help you act quickly and prudently, protect yourself and be able to come to the aid of others.
The lack of one’s own control over the unfolding events causes fear, followed by panic. What to do if anxiety has increased significantly?
5. Avoid overly emotional messages.
Do not read or forward overly emotional messages if they incite feelings of fear. The benefits of winding yourself up are zero, and the harm can be significant. To follow the course of events, use official state sources, their informing style is more emotionally neutral.
Keep in touch with friends and family, informing them about the state of affairs personally with you. Do not replicate gossip and speculation.
6. Focus on available control points.
Routine activities have a calming effect on our psyche. If you feel like your nerves are starting to lose control, focus on the things that you have a direct influence on: do a wet cleaning, clean up your closet, and cook dinner. Let these mundane activities become a refuge that will help you regain some peace of mind.
7. Use breathing exercises.
If routine actions do not help, and you feel a close state of panic, breathing exercises will help slow it down:
- Place your hand on your stomach and concentrate on deep breathing. Inhale slowly through your belly for 5 counts, hold your breath for a short while, and then exhale for 5 counts. Watch how the muscles move.
- Place your hand on your wrist and focus on your pulse. Synchronize breathing with the pulse, 4 beats – inhale, 4 – exhale.
The purpose of these exercises is to slow down breathing and help the body activate the parts of the brain responsible for relaxation.
Being together is important!
Your inner psychological stability is a concern not only for personal safety but also for the ability to help others. Stay focused and remember that in difficult times, the most important thing is to support each other.
You can also get How to Learn English Quickly: 7 Expert Tips and Tricks
When every nerve is tense, it is easy to succumb to the urge to swear and be rude. who are just as worried about the events in the country. Every time you want to release tension with a harsh word, take five deep breaths first. And then five more.