A beautiful smile is the first thing people notice. In modern dentistry, there are many ways to eliminate aesthetic defects (both congenital and acquired). Therefore, anyone who is familiar with such problems firsthand should know whether it is possible to put veneers on crooked front teeth.
What are they
Micro-prostheses are used in the field of dental prosthetics. They are made in the form of small overlays, with the help of which the restoration of the front part of the dentition is performed. Due to the special shape of the mini plates, it is possible to effectively mask the existing imperfections. The plates are superimposed on the frontal zone, mainly incisors and canines, slightly covering the cutting edges.
Now in dentistry, two types of material are used for the manufacture of micro prostheses: ceramics and composite. To find out whether it is possible to put veneers on crooked teeth with an incorrect bite, you should know that doctors recommend opting for a ceramic option. Composite overlays, of course, are cheaper, but darken rather quickly. At the same time, it is impossible to bleach them, therefore, after their damage, a complete replacement will have to be made.
Veneer mini-plates are made with a thickness of 0.2 to 0.3 mm. Stick them on the outer part of the dentition.
The main functions of dental prostheses are:
- Aesthetic. A radiant snow-white smile is no longer just a dream, but a reality. After all, an attractive appearance largely depends on the condition of the oral cavity.
- Recovery. Mini onlays visually restore the outer surface of the teeth. Their color and shape are as close to natural as possible.
- Masking. Allows you to hide the existing flaws: gaps in the enamel, the pronounced distance between the incisors, darkening, etc.
- Phonetic. In the case when the patient has certain defects of a dental nature, pronunciation disorders are not excluded. Veneer plates help to get rid of speech problems.
- Alimentary. An outwardly invisible, but extremely unpleasant moment for a person is the difficulty in eating, arising from the incorrect location or shape of the bone formations. Thanks to micro prostheses, it is possible to correct the situation.
Indications for installation: is it possible to make and install veneers on very crooked teeth
Their use is relevant only in the early stages of the manifestation of changes.
So, if the patient has a crowded position, significant curvature, or too large gaps, therapy is carried out using braces or cap aligners. Veneer prostheses will be appropriate only at the initial stages of these manifestations. What kind of treatment to prescribe to the client, the dentist decides based on the complexity of the case and the scale of the treated area.
Veneer overlays will be an excellent option with slight crowding, and the presence of gaps. Ceramics should be preferred if a thorough correction is required. Composite, on the other hand, is more suitable for correcting minor imperfections, such as interdental distance, and slight curvature.
Thanks to micro-prostheses, a lot of problems in dentistry can be solved. Veneers are made for crooked teeth if:
- The patient has small cracks in the tooth enamel, a clear yellowish tint;
- Chips appeared on the surface;
- The color of the old filling material began to differ from the natural one;
- There is a desire to hide the interdental distance;
- The form itself is unattractive;
- Incisors and fangs are too small, and look ugly;
- The enamel layer began to wear off;
- Spots of a different nature appeared (erosion, fluorosis, hypoplasia);
- There was a need to improve the aesthetic appearance of the upper or lower dentition.
Is it possible to put veneers on crooked or uneven teeth with an incorrect bite
Veneering is the best method for correcting the shade of enamel, and also allows you to modify the shape. Thanks to this technique, it is possible to correct mild curvature without involving complex systems. Microprosthetics is performed when:
- Fangs and incisors interfere with each other;
- Gaps or diastemas are present.
The ideal solution for installing plates will be for lovers of coffee and black tea. They will perfectly cope with the existing darkening of the enamel layer. The material from which the pads are made is very resistant to the influence of food pigments.
If the bite is correct, the plates will quickly and easily correct the overall shape of the dentition. They are installed even on excessively small bone formations.
When dealing with the questions “are veneers installed on crooked teeth”, and also “is it possible to put dentures on them in the presence of various defects”, it is important to remember that linings are used exclusively for the outer part of the oral cavity. Weak curvature due to veneer can be easily masked. But if you need to correct a significant curvature, you will need to use braces or caps.
Comparison with other dental methods
There are many ways to successfully solve problems in terms of dentistry. Each of them should be briefly described in order to have an idea and compare with the mini veneers we are talking about today.
Crowns. Not the best way to correct crooked teeth. When they are installed, adjacent formations inevitably suffer, which leads to damage to the tooth enamel. This technique has become widespread due to its comparative cheapness. It is mainly used to straighten the bite, installed on the incisors. With regard to canines, the dental design is less effective. The materials from which they are made are cermets and ceramics.
Trainers. They are mainly used in pediatric dentistry. The optimal age for installation is up to 14 years. Silicone devices copy the shape of the jaw well and require mandatory fixation in the upper and lower parts of the oral cavity. With the help of such products, intensive training of facial muscles is carried out and proper breathing through the nose is formed.
Asking the question: “is it possible to correct the bite and crooked teeth with veneers or trainer structures”, it is important to remember that the latter is relevant only for minor flaws. You don’t have to wear them all the time.
Caps. These are special plastic plates that repeat the shape of the sky. Shown to correct curvature, used for correction in children from 8 years old. It is impossible to remove the plates during therapy.
In the process of wearing, they do not cause inconvenience, and due to their transparency, they are invisible. Attract patients at a low price. However, in difficult cases (serious curvature of the row, malocclusion) is ineffective.
you can also get The Ultimate Guide to Brushing Your Child’s Teeth: Tips and Tricks for Parents
Braces. These devices have long proven themselves from the best side. They are fixed directly to the tooth surface and create the necessary tension and pressure, due to which alignment occurs. They can only be installed at the top or bottom. Removal during the treatment period is not allowed.
Surgical intervention. It involves grinding off the enamel layer. In some cases, it is possible to remove the bone structure. This technique is resorted to only in the most difficult situations when all other methods are powerless.
Which method should be preferred?
According to the recommendations of dentists, the solution to serious problems should be entrusted to braces. They are most effective in terms of eliminating pronounced defects in children during the period of jaw formation.
If you wondered: “is it possible to put veneers if the teeth are uneven” – you need to take into account the opinion of doctors. They recommend installing overlays when it is necessary to correct minor curvature and as a means of masking visual imperfections. If the dental plates are significantly curved or there is a violation of the ratio of the jaws, then the veneers will not be effective.
It is important to understand that all corrective methods are most effective at a young age. Therefore, do not delay visiting the dentist. The sooner a specialist detects a pathology, the faster it will be possible to get rid of it. In their choice of an appropriate technique, physicians rely on:
- Patient’s age;
- His general condition;
- The presence of specific problems in the oral cavity.
Varieties of micro prostheses
Veneers are made from two types of materials: composite and ceramic.
Composite mini-linings are produced on the basis of filling compositions. Such products are inexpensive, but their service life is very short only 3-4 years. In addition, those who love strong black tea, coffee, and other foods with bright pigments are not recommended to install them. If you decide to install this option, you should know that you will have to visit the dentist’s office for grinding regularly.
Dentists, answering the question: “is it possible to correct bite defects and crooked teeth with veneers,” prefer ceramic products. They are highly durable and more ethically attractive. Patients do not experience any inconvenience when wearing them, and the service life reaches 12-15 years. These overlays are almost indistinguishable from real tooth enamel. Even after a long period of time, they do not darken or fade.
How is the restoration with ceramic plates
The recovery process involves the phased implementation of a number of actions:
- At the preparatory stage, the doctor examines the client and determines the need for the veneer. It is also possible to treat damage, caries, and inflammation if any. At the initial visit, the required color of future mini-prostheses is selected.
- Before the start of prosthetics, the dentition is cleaned. The dentist removes the enamel layer and hard tissue. The thickness of the part to be removed depends on the size of future micro overlays. Usually, it is from 0.5 to 0.6 mm.
- Knowing how veneers are placed on crooked teeth, get ready for the fact that at the next stage, the specialist will make casts. The special composition applied to the surface already after 5 minutes hardens to the desired degree. After solidification, the form is removed and transferred to the laboratory.
- According to the impressive structure, the prosthesis itself is made. After that, it is carefully checked for inconsistencies with the outlines and a certain shade. During the initial (temporary) installation, the patient is given time to sort out his own feelings. If in the process of wearing he feels discomfort, the pads will be removed and finalized to perfect condition.
- The installation stage provides for the complete treatment of the oral cavity and the patch plate with an antiseptic. This is done in order to exclude the ingress of harmful microbes that can lead to the development of diseases. The inner area of the micro prosthesis remains rough, the dentition is treated with a special gel, which gives additional surface roughness. This is the only way to ensure proper adhesion to the plates. Fixation is carried out with medical cement paste.
How teeth are aligned with composite veneers
The installation of composite products takes no more than an hour:
- First of all, the dentist examines the client and assesses the condition of the oral cavity.
- After that, the dentist begins to grind the bone formations, trying to preserve the natural parameters.
- To avoid injury to the gums, a special rope thread is laid between them and the dentition. It is removed after veneering.
- The open surface is treated with a special composition that prevents the development of caries. Drying is in progress.
- After thorough drying, the first layer of the composite is applied, which is then leveled and exposed to ultraviolet radiation. These manipulations are repeated 2-3 times.
- The completed veneer plates are adjusted to the desired shape.
- In the end, the composite micro-linings are ground.
Pros and cons of correcting the curvature of the front teeth with veneers
Among the main advantages of installing products, it is worth pointing out:
- Ceramic dentures cannot be distinguished from natural tooth enamel.
- Plate resistance to temperature changes.
- High strength.
- The speed of the procedure.
- aesthetic appeal.
- The ability to correct the bite and general outlines.
- Effective elimination of chips, cracks, and other imperfections.
Among the shortcomings, the following should be noted:
- Relatively high cost of ceramic veneers;
- Composite options are not strong enough and quickly become unusable.
- If the rules are not followed, they may become unusable.
- The need for turning
Photos before and after
If you look at the photos below, you can verify the effectiveness of this dental method. After veneering, the smile really becomes dazzling.
Two weeks after installation, you need to visit the dentist’s office. The doctor must check the state of the plate, and whether there is an inflammatory process in the oral cavity. It will also detect an allergic reaction if there is a predisposition to it. It usually takes no more than 20 days to adapt.
Features of care
When talking about straightening teeth with veneers, this aspect cannot be overlooked. After all, if micro prostheses are properly cared for, it will be possible to significantly increase their effectiveness and extend the wearing period. Wearing plates:
- Try to avoid increased stress on the chewing parts;
- Carry out regular cleaning, use a special rinse aid;
- Consult a dentist in a timely manner (at least once every 5-6 months).
This service (vining) in the dental clinic “Dentika” is quite accessible to everyone. Depending on the chosen material, scope of work, complexity, and preparation period, the amount may vary. At the same time, 1 orthopedic mini-prosthesis will cost about 28,129 rubles. The price is formed not only from the level of the medical institution but the size is also affected by:
- Features of diagnostic measures;
- Anesthesia used;
- Quality of time plates;
- Qualification of a specialist;
- Material used;
- Nuances of the methodology, etc.
The difference in the operational period is due to the composition from which the micro-linings were made. So, ceramics serve for 15 years or more, composite only 4-5.
Contraindications for installation
When looking for information in response to the questions: “do veneers correct crooked teeth” and “can you align the front row with them”, we should not forget that this method is not applicable to everyone. Veneering is contraindicated in cases of malocclusion, bruxism, periodontitis, periodontal disease, severe caries, absence of more than 7 chewing elements, and in other situations. Also, wearing veneers is not recommended for athletes involved in martial arts.