Almost every modern person has heard about this device, it is used by most families who want to maintain healthy teeth and gums. However, not everyone is aware of which oral irrigator is better to choose, and how to buy a high-quality accessory that will last for many years and help prevent serious dental diseases.
The gadget is suitable for adults and children, people with orthodontic structures (braces), implants, inflammation, hypersensitivity, bleeding gums, and other problems. During the procedure, you can use both ordinary clean water and a special pharmacy composition. Consider the features of different models and their differences.
What is an oral irrigator?
This is a device created for cleansing, massaging, and washing the dentition, gums, and tongue. The principle of operation of the device is based on the use of a thin stream of water, which is supplied under pressure to the nozzle. Directed fluid flow eliminates deposits on surfaces, including interdental spaces, cleans orthopedic and orthodontic constructions, and stimulates blood circulation in soft tissues. During the procedure, a special antiseptic solution can be used, which kills pathogenic microorganisms and helps to strengthen the enamel.
A modern accessory does not replace a regular brush but is one of the options for additional hygienic care. Pollution is easily cleaned in those places where the bristles and threads are powerless.
What is it used for
- Prevention of carious lesions. Plaque is removed from dental surfaces and mucous membranes, deposits are eliminated even in hard-to-reach areas.
- Prevention of pathological processes and treatment of gum disease. The device improves blood circulation in soft tissues and starts recovery processes. Due to this, bleeding is reduced, and inflamed structures are strengthened.
- Cleaning of crowns, plates, implants, and other orthodontic, and orthopedic systems. The home procedure will be quite effective.
- Getting rid of fetid odor from the mouth. This is due to the elimination of bacterial plaque.
- Prevention of gingivitis. Women are especially prone to the disease during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
There are no contraindications to the use of the device.
The gadget can be used by everyone, regardless of age, gender, the presence of chronic diseases, and other problems. Despite the exceptional benefits, before purchasing a particular model, you should consult a dentist.
Who should not use an oral irrigator?
According to the data of medical studies and according to doctors, there are no contraindications to the use of the device. No harm has been proven, so you can purchase the device without fear. However, some experts argue that it is better not to do this for people with diagnosed vascular rosacea or recent surgery on the mucous membranes. The fact is that even a small pressure of water can lead to a violation of the integrity of tissues.
What is an oral irrigator made of?
- Replaceable nozzles
- Hydraulic pump
- Storage tank
- Handle with a flexible hose
- They have different directions (for cleansing the tongue, implants, plates, universal, etc.)
- When the device is turned on, the motor drives the pump, which creates a certain pressure.
- Water or a special liquid is poured there
- With its help, the level of power supply of the solution to the processing point is regulated.
The set contains from one to a dozen types. Each household member should have a replacement kit. Varieties:
- Universal. They are used to cleanse dentition and mucous membranes without pathologies.
- Orthodontic. Removes deposits under braces and in subgingival areas.
- Periodontal. They have a refined rubberized tip, and the jet is directed locally in the area under the gums. Not applicable for operation under high pressure, otherwise the part may fly off.
- Removable elements of irrigators for implants (which one is better to choose, we will consider below). Several tufts of bristles are provided for easy cleaning. Suitable for bridges, and artificial crowns.
- For language. Eliminate a layer of pathogenic microorganisms and indelible food particles, as a result, an unpleasant odor from the oral cavity disappears.
- brush. Additionally cleans deposits, but is not an alternative to an ordinary toothbrush.
- Nasal. Designed for washing the nasal passages with sinusitis and other pathological processes.
The standard part must be renewed every six months. Specialized ones are disposed of after 3 months.
Types of oral irrigators
Devices differ in individual features that are decisive when choosing. This includes design features, and the principle of operation, and the popularity of the manufacturer, the duration of the warranty.
Differences in design
The most important selection criteria are the possibility of using the device on the road, as well as the use of all family members at once at home. Depending on the goals, the number of users, and other points, you can choose gadgets with various design features that have both advantages and disadvantages.
The power supply of such models is carried out through the electrical network. Thus, they need to be connected to a power outlet. When buying, you should take into account the length of the cord, which depends on the location of the device in a suitable place without the use of extension cords.
- Good power, efficiency;
- Voluminous container for water and balm;
- Uninterrupted work;
- Long service life, reliability;
- Numerous fittings.
The negative side is a large size. The device can not be taken on the road for long trips.
The irrigator runs on batteries or other power sources. It does not depend on electricity, so you can clean your mouth anywhere. Typically, such gadgets have compact dimensions, they are taken on vacation or a business trip.
Before choosing a good portable irrigator for the oral cavity, you need to familiarize yourself with its shortcomings. Minuses:
- The need for periodic recharging or changing batteries;
- Small reservoir;
- Low head power compared to stationary models;
- Often used by a single user.
Flow oral irrigators
They are connected directly to the plumbing system and do not work from other sources. The set includes a supply hose that connects to the faucet.
The only way to regulate the water pressure is to turn it. Installation is easy, anyone can do it. Unfortunately, the gadget cannot be taken on the road, and the power is regulated only by the mixer.
If the consumer is interested in which is better to choose an irrigator for teeth and how to save as much as possible, such options are also suitable. They only work if the user himself makes physical efforts. The action is based on the functioning of the piston, when compressed, a certain pressure of the water flow is created. The design is the least efficient, so it is recommended to resort to this method in the absence of worthy alternatives, for example, on the way. Such models have a low cost, but the quality of processing leaves much to be desired.
Differences in the principle of action
The device is purchased based on the purpose of use. An important point is the technology of supplying water from the tank.
The fluid does not flow in one stream, but with minimal gaps. These intervals are almost imperceptible to the average user without special knowledge. In the most advanced models, water is supplied at a speed of 2000 micro pulses per minute. Plaque is cleaned efficiently and quickly.
There is a mixing of small air bubbles with a water stream, and the purification process brings a greater effect. Water saturated with oxygen fights the bacterial layer better, and removes unpleasant odor from the oral cavity.
Doctors advise opting for such a model for wearers of braces and persons with prostheses. An ordinary brush with deep dirt under such structures will not cope.
Water is supplied continuously without pulsations. Such a system is provided mainly in flow devices powered by water supply. Technology becomes obsolete over time due to low efficiency.
Special balms for the oral irrigator
The procedure will show greater efficiency if liquids with antibacterial and anti-inflammatory components are used. Which drug to choose depends on the task. Some compounds help in strengthening the enamel, others disinfect and relieve inflammation of the mucous membranes, and the rest act in combination.
How to choose an oral irrigator:
- Carefully study the composition and scope;
- For a strengthening effect, opt for solutions with fluorine;
- For therapy and preventive purposes, purchase a herbal or antiseptic composition;
- To freshen your breath, buy a liquid with a menthol flavor;
- For allergy sufferers, select only hypoallergenic mixtures.
When we choose a dental irrigator, it is important to take the time to study the recommendations for use and strictly follow them:
- Do not touch the device with wet hands;
- Do not allow the device to come into contact with liquids;
- Monitor the integrity of the cord;
- Do not wipe the body part with alcohol-containing products;
- Do not keep near artificial heat sources and in direct sunlight;
- Pour only soft water or special pharmacy solutions into the container;
- During the operation of the device, you cannot hold the pause key for a long time, otherwise, the motor may burn out;
- Wear attachments recommended by the manufacturer of a particular device;
- When traveling in the winter season, do not leave water in the tank, otherwise, it will freeze and the model will fail.
On the Internet and other sources, there are a lot of myths regarding the use of an oral irrigator. The most common of them:
- The device can completely replace a toothbrush. For quality daily care, you need to brush your teeth with toothpaste at least twice a day. Irrigation with an aqueous solution is an element of additional hygiene.
- It is enough to use the device 1-2 times a week. Experts recommend doing this immediately after brushing, that is, after breakfast and before bed every day.
- Be sure to pour only special balms into the tank. Ordinary filtered or boiled water will do.
- You can use herbal decoctions and ordinary rinses. The resulting sediment and foam will lead to spoilage.
- The longer the hose, the better. This is not necessary, because during the procedure you still have to bend over the sink.
- The maximum number of power modes is welcome. Modern devices regulate the water supply pressure smoothly, so there is no need for numerous divisions.
How to choose the right oral irrigator for the oral cavity
- If braces, crowns, implants, and other structures are installed, it is better to opt for models with special nozzles;
- When the device is purchased for the whole family, experts advise taking stationary gadgets with removable elements for everyone;
- If the irrigator will be used by children and persons with bleeding and increased sensitivity of the gums, it is worth considering the types with the lowest minimum power ratings.
Characteristics of the water jet and cleaning technology
As discussed above, when choosing which oral irrigator is better to choose for your home, you should pay attention to the principle of operation. According to this criterion, all models are divided into the following options:
There are special nozzles, at the end of which there is a special part with floss. The technology is patented by Jetpik. Cleaning is carried out not only with a pressure jet but also with the use of dental floss.
The number of nozzles and their purpose
Some models are equipped with only a single universal part, others have a lot of devices used depending on the needs of the consumer. There are elements for the care of braces, prostheses, tongue, etc. Some irrigators can be used to wash the nose. For convenience, individual manufacturers produce nozzles of different colors so that family members do not confuse where is whose.
The ability to adjust the force of pressure
Most modern models can be adjusted manually. For beginners, it is better to start with a small pressure, gradually increasing it. In addition, the minimum level is indicated for children and people with hypersensitivity, and bleeding gums.
Ability to take on the road
Travel lovers and people who are often on business trips cannot do without a portable model that runs on batteries. Such devices are compact and have a minimum number of modes, and a small tank. Usually, the device is used by only one person, for the whole family the best choice would be a stationary device powered by the mains.
Warranty periods from the manufacturer
Many budget models become unsuitable for repair at the end of the operational period. More expensive ones must be replaced or repaired at the service centers indicated at the time of purchase. Some reputable manufacturers service products even after the warranty has expired. This is a critical point as the poor water quality that is experienced in many regions leads to frequent breakdowns. In general, the warranty period should be at least 2 years.
If you know how to choose the right oral irrigator for cleaning the teeth of the whole family, you can get a high-quality device that will clean the most hard-to-reach places and allow you to visit the dentist’s office only for routine checkups. The device will not replace the usual brush, but it is a great addition to everyday care, which is a must-have in every home. Before buying, it is important to familiarize yourself with the features of models from different manufacturers and think carefully about the purposes for which a modern gadget will be used, what nozzles you can refuse to save the family budget, and whether you need frequent use on travel and business trips.