The question of which dental braces systems are best for an adult and a child is extremely important. Braces will have to be worn for a long time, so if they cause physical or psychological discomfort, the process of correcting the malocclusion will turn into real torture.
No matter how much the technologies used in orthodontic treatment are improved, this method of correction remains one of the most popular. In the modern market, there is a wide range of designs for every taste and budget, so each patient will be able to choose the best option for himself.
Consider how different types of systems differ, what are their advantages, and disadvantages and how much they cost.
When are braces placed?
The device is a staple with slots in which the orthodontic arch is located. The main task facing the orthodontist is to make the smile as attractive as possible, the bite to be physiological, and also to align the crowns.
- The standard model consists of the following elements: Base. This is a plate that is glued to the teeth with a special medical adhesive.
- Wings (protruding brackets with recesses to secure a smooth metal thread).
- An arcuate wire made of a special alloy contributes to the advancement of each unit in a given direction.
- Ligatures. Wire or rubber rings ensure that the individual components are securely fastened.
The essence of this therapy is the forced alignment of the dentition. The positive effect is visible after a year.
Indications for installation:
- Facial asymmetry, oval change;
- The presence of large interdental spaces;
- Crooked or crowded incisors, canines, premolars, and molars;
- Past injuries of the jaw and facial area or other pathological processes that provoke temporomandibular deformities (a crunchy sound is heard when eating food, pain or other discomfort is felt);
- An unevenness of the teeth.
There are also contraindications when resorting to treatment is categorically not recommended:
- A large number of fixed prostheses and implants;
- Pregnancy (any trimester) and breastfeeding;
- Tuberculosis, HIV, AIDS;
- Severe diseases of the musculoskeletal system and bones (rickets, arthrosis, arthritis);
- Malignant neoplasms.
Different types of structures are installed for children and adult patients. The choice must be made together with the orthodontist, taking into account the age category, neglect of the problem, and other factors.
Types of braces (pros and cons of each option)
Systems are divided into several types according to various criteria:
- According to the material of manufacture (metal, ceramic, sapphire, plastic, combined);
- By the method of fixing the arc (ligature and non-ligature);
- According to the method of fixation (direct and indirect);
- At the installation site: vestibular (on the outside of the dental units) and lingual (fixed inside and not visible).
This is the classic, most reliable, and most popular way to treat pathologies of dentition. The design is not very aesthetic, since the gray color of the details stands out against the background of snow-white teeth. However, external shortcomings are compensated by the high effectiveness of therapy.
- Cope with bite defects of any complexity and degree of neglect;
- Ease of hygienic care and operation;
- Affordable price;
- Strength (these are the strongest systems on the market today);
- Do not stain from food and drinks;
- Efficiency and speed of achieving results.
- Risk of damage to mucous membranes and tongue. Patients often complain of injury to the lips of the inner side of the cheeks, and gums.
- Visibility to others. Some people refuse metal models precisely because of this feature, as they are embarrassed to smile.
- The likelihood of developing allergic reactions.
Orthodontic structures of this type are practically invisible, therefore they are very popular. The ceramic blends completely with the enamel shade.
- Efficiency. They are used for the most serious bite problems.
- Resistant to food dyes throughout the entire operational time.
- Rare visits to the orthodontist to adjust the wire.
- Strength, wear resistance.
- Compact, and comfortable to wear.
- Longer treatment time compared to metal accessories.
- High prices, can exceed the cost of metal products by dozens of times.
- Special hygiene care. For this reason, ceramics is not recommended for young children and irresponsible teenagers who neglect the rules of hygiene. Also, you should not install such structures for people who are constantly on the road.
- The likelihood of an allergy. It will be very disappointing if, after paying for an expensive installation, the product does not fit due to contraindications. It is necessary to visit an allergist in advance and take allergy tests, and only then resort to corrective measures.
This is the best option for patients who are interested in which braces to install and how to choose the most durable model. Such arcs are made from artificial sapphire, which is second only to diamond in its strength. The material is non-toxic and chemically neutral, does not cause allergic reactions, and does not stain from food and drink, tobacco smoke, and coffee.
You can also get What To Do If The Tooth Reacts To Cold And Hot
They are prescribed for large interdental spaces, torsion, and eversion of dental units.
- Attractive appearance. They are transparent and almost invisible.
- Resistant to staining with pigments.
- Fast adaptation.
- Minimal risk of injury to mucous membranes.
- No effect on diction.
- Fragility. The material is strong, but brackets can be deformed under the influence of hard or too viscous products.
- Cause discomfort with increased sensitivity of soft tissues.
- They do not show effectiveness in serious pathologies.
- duration of treatment.
- Requires special care.
They are installed on the inner surface of the dental units. Thus, the main advantage of the systems is their invisibility to others. Even if a person smiles widely, they are not visible.
- Small size. The patient quickly adapts to the foreign device and will comfortably endure the entire period of mechanical intervention.
- Use of 3D modeling technology. When mounting brackets, it is much easier for the orthodontist to observe the movement of the teeth and control their position in the oral cavity. Even at the planning stage, an experienced doctor can draw up an accurate therapeutic scheme based on the created jaw model.
- Greater pain compared to other types.
- Problems with diction due to location. The risk of developing logoneurosis increases, that is, the appearance of strong feelings due to incorrect pronunciation of sounds.
- The likelihood of injury to the tongue and mucous membranes, especially during the adaptation period.
- Longer wearing than the classic options.
- High price.
- Non-ligature systems
Such devices are preferred by most patients, despite the price of treatment, which “bites” a lot. They do not have fasteners, which makes them more aesthetically pleasing and invisible when smiling. Self-ligating structures are versatile and suitable for almost all people with malocclusion and other defects.
- A large selection of manufacturing materials (ceramics, metal, plastic, sapphire);
- Short adaptation period;
- Efficiency; no discomfort when wearing;
- Smooth sliding of the arcs in the grooves due to the absolute smoothness of the surface;
- Staples are resistant to staining from food and drinks; the need to visit the orthodontist is rare (no more than once every 2-3 months).
- Inefficiency in the presence of anomalies in the development of the maxillofacial apparatus and serious diseases of the oral cavity;
- The lesser degree of impact on the dentition, in contrast to classical devices;
- Increased price.
Cost of dental braces
Design prices can vary greatly. It depends on several factors:
- Material of manufacture;
- Fastening method;
- Places of fixation;
- Location of the clinic;
- The equipment used and the presence of its laboratory in the institution, etc.
The cheapest are metal ligature models. Non-ligature staples made of metal will cost a little more. The most expensive ones are ceramic, sapphire, and lingual (invisible). The latter will hit your pocket the most.
Usually, the total cost includes the mechanism itself, fixation, dismantling and correction, scheduled visits to the dentist, and retainers. For a fee, preliminary diagnostic procedures are carried out, and elements damaged due to the fault of the patient are changed.
Many modern clinics offer payment in installments. The dental center “Dentika” also provides the opportunity to use all services with a deferred payment.
Which braces are best for adults and children
When choosing a suitable system, age must be taken into account. The following points are also important.
- The convenience of wearing, duration of the adaptation period, and ease of care. The faster you get used to the staples in your mouth and the easier it is to perform hygiene measures, the easier the treatment will be.
- Price. You need to immediately calculate in the clinic how much the turnkey installation will cost. However, in any case, during therapy, there will be additional expenses for care products and necessary procedures.
- Time costs and effectiveness of correction. Standard metal ligature constructions straighten teeth the fastest. If more aesthetically attractive models are chosen, the therapeutic period is extended by six months to a year.
- The appearance of the system. For some people, it is extremely important whether the arcs are noticeable. In this case, the speed of achieving the effect and the money spent go into the background. Other patients may not care what they look like.
External metal braces remain the most popular. First, they are reliable and efficient. Secondly, almost everyone can afford such orthodontic treatment. However, the design is visible to others, rubs soft tissues, and requires high-quality hygienic care.
For greater solidity, ceramic models are recommended. If you want to completely hide the braces on your teeth, lingual systems are ideal. In this case, the most important point is the choice of devices with additional enamel protection. Otherwise, complications in the form of a carious lesion may occur.
Child or teenager
The effectiveness of corrective measures depends on the age of the patient. The period of formation of permanent incisors, canines, premolars, and molars is considered optimal for treatment.
Which braces are best to install at a very early age? Orthodontists say that it is possible to correct an overbite in children of any age category, however, it is braces that should not be used until the age of 12. This is due to too much pressure from the product on the dental units, so you need to choose gentle methods.
Children’s designs are characterized by a shorter duration of therapy. For orthodontic intervention, any options you like can be used both in terms of the location of the accessory and the material of manufacture.
Most often in medical practice, vestibular braces are used. They are fixed on the outside of the coronal part. They are easier to install, adjust during scheduled visits, and clean from food debris and plaque. Lingual systems are much more expensive and affect diction. As you know, the aesthetic component and the ability to speak correctly are extremely important for teenagers. Any remarks or ridicule from peers regarding unaesthetic arches can forever save a little person from the desire to correct anomalies in dentition.
In today’s market, there are staples of different colors. The child can choose any shade and feel more confident.
Parents should psychologically prepare their son or daughter for the upcoming event, especially if they have settled on a vestibular model that is noticeable to others. It is also important to explain that at first there will be discomfort, which will pass after full adaptation.
How to choose effective braces for an adult, which ones are better to buy for a teenager and a younger child? All these issues should be resolved jointly with the doctor, depending on the results of the diagnosis, the severity of the pathological process, the localization of the problem, individual characteristics, financial capabilities, and other factors. You will have to wear arcs for a long time, so it is important to think through all the details of the treatment well so that it does not cause discomfort.
The Dentika dental center installs the most popular types of structures at affordable prices. Call the number listed on the site, or leave a request, and we will contact you as soon as possible. Our experts will help you choose the right orthodontic device and develop a therapeutic tactic.